In-house and distance learning
Leading to the Chartered Institute of Linguists Diploma in Translation (CIOL DipTrans)
If you’re planning a professional career in translation and are looking for an internationally recognised qualification, the Professional Translation Course leading to the Chartered Institute of Linguists Diploma in Translation is the right choice for you.
About the course
All lessons take place in a fully-equipped computer lab. The Professional Translation Course is specially designed to enable you to:
- learn the practical and theoretical principles underpinning best practices in translation into Greek and into English
- acquire a complete set of practical and professional skills for translation of general and specialised Greek and English texts
- gain an understanding of the basic principles of subtitling and the use of subtitling software
- demonstrate your ability to apply all your learning in a professional context
- prepare for the CIOL Diploma in Translation examination.
About the CIOL DipTrans
The CIOL DipTrans is the gold standard for anyone wanting a career as a freelance translator in Greece or to work as a translator for international corporations worldwide and meets the need for a high-level professional translating qualification.
The Office of Qualifications and Examinations Regulation (Ofqual), which regulates qualifications, examinations and assessments in the UK, rates the CIOL DipTrans as Level 7: postgraduate level qualification.
How is the course delivered?
The Professional Translation Course is made up of 292 contact hours over 36 weeks (two four-hour lessons per week). It can be followed in-house or by distance learning, or by combining both.
The course offers you:
- translation theory, text analysis and main linguistic principles
- research and documentation methodology in paper and electronic resources
- techniques and strategies to deal with translation problems
- hands-on practice in the use of computers and word processing (MS Word) in fully-equipped computer labs
- practical guidance and tutorial support on how to enter the translation market
- constructive feedback on your translation practice.
How will I be assessed?
Your course progress is assessed based on:
- two translations and at least six exercises per week
- four official assignments per year
- two examinations per year.
What are the entry requirements?
- be at least 18 years old (it is generally recommended that applicants should be aged 20 or over)
- have a good awareness of language and an advanced competence in both written and spoken English and Greek.
What is the selection process?
Selection of participants is determined through:
- an application form
- a one-to-one interview with a translation trainer (via Skype).
Where is the course taught?
At our Kolonaki Teaching Centre or via distance learning.
Course dates 2018–19
|Distance learning course||7 November 2018–16 October 2019|
|In-house course||16 January–18 December 2019
Monday & Wednesday, 10.00–14.00
|CIOL DipTrans examination fee (optional)||€700|
How to apply
Once we’ve confirmed your participation on the course, you will be required to pay a non-refundable deposit of €300 within ten working days to guarantee a place. The remaining course fee (€2,400) must be paid in four instalments of €600.
|1st instalment||by 31 October 2018|
|2nd instalment||by 31 December 2018|
|3rd instalment||by 31 March 2019|
|4th instalment||by 30 June 2019|
You can make the payment in one of two ways:
- by direct deposit or bank transfer to the British Council account at Citibank:
Account number: 0444215003
IBAN: GR51 0840 0010 0000 0044 4215 003
Swift Code: CITIGRAA
Please quote your name followed by Translation in the ‘Αιτιολογία’ field on the deposit
slip (e.g. N. Papanikolaou, Translation)
- in cash, by credit card or by cheque at our Athens office (Monday to Friday, 09.00–14.30).
For further information, please call Customer Services on +30 210 369 2333 & 801 500 3692* (Monday to Friday, 08.00–17.00).
* Calls from anywhere in Greece are charged at local rate.
Conditions of payment
- Fees can be paid in cash, by bank transfer, by credit card or by cheque.
- Once we’ve confirmed your participation on the course, you will be required to pay a non-refundable deposit of €300 within ten working days to guarantee a place. The remaining course fee (€2,400) must be paid in four instalments in accordance with the payment plan.
- Refunds are not available.
- We reserve the right not to open a class with fewer than 8 students.
- Normally the maximum number of students in a class will not exceed 12.