The Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (CELTA) is an introductory teacher training course for those who have little or no previous English language teaching experience. It is also suitable for people with some experience but little previous training.
CELTA is recognised around the world and is a requirement for all teachers looking to work with quality language teaching institutions such as the British Council.
Our Blended Online CELTA course will enable you to:
- learn about and become familiar with the principles of effective teaching
- acquire a range of practical skills for teaching English to speakers of other languages
- demonstrate your ability to apply your learning in a real teaching context.
How is the course delivered?
Our Blended Online CELTA course is made up of a minimum of 140 hours. On the course you will:
- follow virtual input sessions covering all aspects of teaching English as a second language
- benefit from directed lesson planning and tutorial support
- complete six hours of assessed online teaching practice
- receive constructive feedback on your teaching practice from your tutors and peers
- complete four assessed assignments (750–1,000 words each)
- have the opportunity to observe experienced ELT professionals (six hours in total).
How will I be assessed?
There is no final written exam, but you will be assessed on your:
- lesson planning and teaching
- ability to apply what you learn in the virtual classroom
- awareness of the strengths and weaknesses of your teaching
- contribution to group input and feedback sessions
- written assignments.
By the end of the course you will have:
- a professional, internationally recognised qualification in teaching English to speakers of other languages
- a solid foundation in lesson planning and teaching
- the techniques and tools for effective teaching both in a face-to-face classroom and online environment
- been guided through your own development as a teacher
- an awareness of different approaches to ensure student-centred teaching.
- be at least 18 years old (it is generally recommended that applicants should be aged 20 or over)
- have a good awareness of language and an advanced competence in both written and spoken English
- have the potential to develop the necessary skills to become effective teachers and to successfully complete the teaching practice and written assignments.
Selection of participants is determined through:
- An application form and the CELTA Application Task. The task looks at your knowledge of English language teaching methodology and your language awareness. If you are a non-native English speaker, the task will also be used to assess your level of written English.
- A one-to-one interview with a CELTA trainer (via Skype).