About this course
As education is becoming increasingly globalised, the number of degree courses in Europe taught in English has increased rapidly. This presents particular challenges for lecturers for whom English is not a first language and who have to deal with large groups of students who are also non-native speakers of English, which can lead to frustration on both sides.
This two-day course aims to help academic staff communicate more effectively in an EMI (English as the Medium of Instruction) context and introduces them to techniques and strategies which they can incorporate into their own teaching.
For the institution, the benefits are improvements in the quality of academic teaching, more effective learning and an enhanced reputation.
The course is taught by experienced teaching staff who have received special training at Oxford University in EMI.
Although there will be some language input, the emphasis of this course is on pedagogic methodology. Among the topics covered are:
- the context of EMI
- the problems faced by lecturers
- the problems faced by students
- making lectures easier to understand in an EMI setting
- strategies for making lectures interactive
- handling differences in the language levels among students
- asking and responding to questions
- barriers to communication and how to avoid them
- giving oral feedback
- giving written feedback
- the importance of visual aids
- useful language in an EMI lecture.
How is the course delivered?
The course is made up of 12 contact hours delivered over two consecutive days.
It is a highly interactive course and involves a considerable amount of group work and discussion. Academics from a range of disciplines are invited to share their concerns and to reflect on their own teaching styles. There will also be video observation of real EMI lectures, which will demonstrate how other lecturers cope with the demands of EMI.
Due to the interactive nature of this course, it is suitable for a group of between 8 and 14 participants.
By the end of the course you will have:
- a solid foundation in EMI
- the techniques and tools for effective teaching through EMI
- been guided through your own development as a teacher
- gained a British Council certificate.