School Lab's back this year with its Earth Edition!
And the winners are ...
We're pleased to announce the winners of School Lab 2013:
- 1st prize: K.A.V.A – 1st High School, Panorama Thessalonikis
- 2nd prize: The 4 Mathitonia – Ekpaideftiria Georgiou Zoi
- 3rd prize: Tria delfinia sto vytho tis epistimis – 8th Dimotiko School Ampelokipon Thessalonikis
In random order, the other 7 schools that excelled:
- Earth Shake – Music School in Xanthi
- A.G.A.S. – Synxroni Paideia
- !TV-Lab – 1st Dimotiko Spaton
- Geniuses – 1st Gymnasium Pefkon
- Duo Toucano – 2nd Dimotiko School Zografou
- I Gi Vareia (anasainei) – Ekpaideftiki Anagenissi
- Oi Angeloi tou Babi – 2nd Gymnasium Piraeus
Audience award (based on e-voting)
- 1st prize: Emeis kai to Perivallon (The Environment and Us) – Ellinogermaniki Agogi
- 2nd prize: Little Scientists – Paidagogiki
The most ecological video award
- Prasinoi Oneiropoloi (Green Dreamers) – Special Dimotiko School MDDE Kaisarianis
The most artistic video award
- Opsidianoi – Dimotiko School Adamanta Milou
The most beautiful experiments and effects award:
- Blue Fighters EA – Ellinogermaniki Agogi
Open Day for Innovation in the Classroom
We're delighted to invite you to our Open Day for Innovation in the Classroom, a unique event where we'll present the results of two exciting competitions:
09.30–12.00 Forum Partners in Learning
12.00–14.30 School Lab 2013
Goulandris Natural History Museum (Gaia Centre)
In addition, a series of parallel events including interactive educational games for schools and families with gifts and surprises, will take place in the foyer of Gaia Center.
- Download the full programme (PDF, 527 kb)
Enter School Lab 2013!
- Are you a student in a class between the 5th grade of primary school and the 3rd grade of secondary school?
- Are you passionate about science?
- Do you enjoy working with friends as a team?
- Do you want to find out what working with a real-life researcher is like?
- Would you like to join a science club?
If you answered 'Yes' to any of the above questions, then you're ready to explore the fascinating world of science – everything from astronomy, biology and chemistry to maths and physics – and discover how thrilling science can be!
What is School Lab?
School Lab is an innovative programme designed to promote the exchange of ideas on science. Through School Lab we aim to help young students:
- understand the exciting challenges of science
- develop critical and creative thinking through innovative and creative activities
- gain the confidence and skills required to present their ideas
- see young scientists as role models
and establish an online community that will bring students, teachers and researchers together.
What will I be expected to do?
Students who take part in School Lab will:
- form teams of two to four people with their friends
- choose a scientific topic they're interested in, either on their own or with the aid of their teachers and mentors
- present their chosen topic in an inventive and comprehensible way
- record their presentation on video (using a video recorder or mobile phone)
- upload their video to the School Lab website
... just like real scientists!
Who are the mentors and what's their role?
The mentors are a group of talented scientists, all finalists in FameLab, the science communication competition created by the Cheltenham Science Festival and organised internationally by the British Council. They will guide the students throughout the programme. With their help and support, participants will develop their chosen scientific topic while at the same time becoming familiar with the research process.
Participants will need to upload their final 3–5 minute video presenting the scientific topic they've chosen onto the online platform by 23.59, Sunday 28 April 2013. A panel of judges will vote for the participants’ presentations and the students themselves will also be able to vote between 29 April and 7 May 2013.
Who are the judges?
Leading figures from the world of science and the media
What are the prizes?
The best teams will take part in an event at the Goulandris Natural History Museum on Sunday 12 May 2013 at 12.00, when they will present their work on stage. There will be more prizes - watch this space for updates!
How do I apply to take part in School Lab?
If you'd like to take part in this innovative school programme, simply visit the School Lab website to complete and then submit the registration form.
- FAQs (PDF, 60 kb)
- Terms and conditions (PDF, 80 kb)
For further information, please contact us:
17 Kolonaki Square
106 73 Athens
Telephone +30 210 369 2337
37 Andrea Papandreou Street
151 80 Marousi
Telephone +30 210 344 2869
Fax +30 210 344 2769