What is the Museum Professionals Network?
Our Transforming Future Museums programme has kick-started the creation of the Museum Professionals Network: a peer-focused network that will operate as a space to improve knowledge sharing, explore unexpected fields and modes of collaboration, and foster peer-to-peer consultation. We aim to create a platform that will facilitate transversal and cross-sectoral collaborations, exchange of expertise across the museum and cultural sector in Greece, and challenge the status quo in professionals’ perceptions as well as in their working environments.
Emerging from our first International Museum Academy, the network aspires to empower and engage museum professionals in a journey of personal and collective professional development for the future well-being of museums and their people. The Museum Professionals Network will form part of a supportive and collaborative peer network to explore the role of museums and culture in Greece, and ways of bringing different culture professionals together.
We aim to create a museum community that will share knowledge, exchange good practice, develop skills and encourage openness.
The principles of the network are:
- peer-to-peer contact and learning
- sharing knowledge, exchanging good practice and encouraging openness
- writing and sharing: reflecting on projects and their impact
- fostering working cultures and collaborations with museums and networks within and beyond Greece.
The programme is supported by the Stavros Niarchos Foundation.
What are the network’s aims?
The Museum Professionals Network aims to:
- foster working cultures which encourage openness, collaboration, innovation and allow for risk and failure
- create an empowered national network of museum and heritage professionals who will share knowledge, exchange good practice and work as champions and advocates for the sector
- give participants access to a growing global network of museum professionals and connect them with other institutions and individual professionals in an international forum
- broaden vision and strengthen professional confidence of the museum workforce to empower them to become agents of change within their organisations and shape the future
- provide members with opportunities for professional development
- articulate clear arguments and raise awareness of the value of heritage and museums in cultural, social, economic and environmental development, and provide advocacy for the sector to influence national, regional and local policies and stakeholders
- connect with similar networks in Europe and internationally
- connect with creative and other industries (e.g. suppliers).
Who can be part of the Museum Professionals Network?
The Museum Professionals Network welcomes professionals from the following backgrounds:
- museum and heritage professionals from a broad variety of backgrounds
- freelance museum and cultural managers, as well as freelance curators
- museum and heritage organisations; small, mid or large-scale
- policy and decision makers at a national, regional and local level
- other professionals who could contribute to museum workings, already or potentially.
Our 10th Museum Professionals Network meeting will take place at the ICOM offices in Athens. Our topic for discussion will be Museums and Social Media.
If you wish to attend, please contact Dina Ntziora at Dina.Ntziora@britishcouncil.gr.
|When||Wednesday 9 May 2018, 17.00–19.00|
15 Ag. Asomaton Street
105 53 Athens
For further information, please contact Sophia Handaka, Museum Network Co-ordinator:
|Telephone||210 369 2358|