Before you book your test
- Check our Online Registration System for real-time information on test place availability to find the IELTS test date that best suits your needs.
- Make sure you have an electronic colour copy of a valid ID (national ID for EU citizens or passport for non-EU citizens) at hand, as you will need to upload a clear copy of your ID when you book your test. Download the instructions (PDF, 601 kb) on uploading documents to the Online Registration System. On the day of the examination you must present the same identity document that you used when you registered for the test.
- Candidates under the age of 18 have to supply written consent (PDF, 485 kb) from a parent or guardian in order to apply for a test place.
- Download and read our Information for Candidates (PDF, 2 mb), which contains important information about the test format, question types and test results.
- Please note that IELTS is not recommended for test takers under the age of 16.
Book a place
Book a place using our Online Registration System and upload an electronic colour copy of your ID or passport.
If you register online but do not upload an electronic copy of your identification document to our Online Registration System, you must send us a copy of the document within three calendar days of registering. Scan the identification document you used to register, save it as a .jpeg or pdf file no larger than 3 mb and email it to the centre where you are applying to take the IELTS test:
- Athens: email@example.com
- Thessaloniki: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Write your full name and the date of the test session you have chosen in the subject line of your email.
- Use this format for saving the file: (name)_(family name)_(session date).jpg or pdf
Copies of your results
If you would like your results (up to a maximum of five copies) to be sent to universities or other educational institutions, enter the relevant addresses in the appropriate fields on the Online Registration System.
Pay the IELTS test fee
You can pay the IELTS test fee of €201 in one of two ways:
- Pay online with your Visa or Mastercard debit/credit card. You can make your online payment at the same time as you book your place using our Online Registration System or after you have booked your place online by logging into the Candidate Area of the Online Registration System using your email address (as entered when you registered online) and IELTS Reference Number (GR005-XXXXXX-XXXX or GR026-XXXXXX-XXXX). Click on the ‘Payment Info’ tab and then on ‘PAY NOW’. You can easily pay online using your Visa or MasterCard debit/credit card.
Pay by direct deposit to the British Council account at any Alpha Bank branch after you have booked your place on our Online Registration System. You can pay the test fee via ATM or via web banking through you own bank. Please note that you will be responsible for any bank charges.
Account number: 1150 0200 2018 908
IBAN: GR05 0140 1150 1150 0200 2018 908
Please quote the IELTS Reference number provided by the Online Registration System in the «Αιτιολογία» field on the Alpha Bank deposit slip (e.g. GR005-XXXXX-XXXXX or GR026-XXXXX-XXXXX).
Further information about online and direct deposit payment methods and the registration process can be found on our Online Registration System as well as in the guidelines that we will send you in electronic form.
IELTS test date confirmation
You will receive an email confirming your registration within five working days of registering.
If your identification document is rejected, you will receive an email with instructions how to upload your identification document again.
Incomplete applications are not eligible for processing.
After booking your test, you will receive an automatic email with your access codes to the free online course: Road to IELTS.
You will also receive your IELTS Reference Number to access the Test Taker Portal. Please make sure that you have included your email address correctly when you book your test.
Approximately five days before the test date (written tests) you will receive an email with details of the exam session (start time, venue address, speaking test information).
Speaking tests are scheduled to take place either on the day of the written parts of the test or the week before the test day. For candidates from towns in the provinces or abroad (based on the full postal address provided), the speaking test will be scheduled on the same day as the written examinations. Speaking tests are scheduled to take place up to 21.00 on the day of the written exams. Please make your travel arrangements accordingly.
Please note that there are websites pretending to be British Council IELTS registration sites. They are not associated with us and we are not responsible for the content on those sites.
Before you enter any personal details, please make sure that you are using our secure online registration system at https://ielts.britishcouncil.org/greece and check that ‘British Council’ is spelt correctly.