Receive your IELTS results quickly
You won’t have to wait long for your IELTS results. They can be previewed online from 12.00 midday 13 calendar days after the date of the written test. IELTS Results remain online for 28 days but should not be used as an official confirmation of your performance.
Please note that if you have taken IELTS for UKVI, the results cannot be viewed online.
Test Report Form (TRF)
You will receive one copy of the Test Report Form (TRF) and replacements cannot be issued.
- Candidates from the Attiki area (as indicated on the Online Registration System) will be able to collect only one copy of the results from our Athens office (17 Kolonaki Square, 106 73 Athens) between 09.00 and 14.00 on the 13th calendar day after the date of the written test. Please remember to bring your ID card or passport with you on that day. If you are unable to visit our office in person, please contact us as there is a special 3rd party collection procedure in place.
- Candidates from the Thessaloniki area (as indicated on the Online Registration System) will be sent only one copy of the results by courier dispatched on the 13th calendar day after the date of the written test. Delivery will be scheduled for the next working day depending on the area.
- Candidates from the provinces will be sent only one copy of the results by courier dispatched on the 13th calendar day after the date of the written test. Delivery will be scheduled for the next working day depending on the area.
- Candidates with an address from other countries will be sent only one copy of the results by registered post dispatched on the 13th calendar day after the date of the written test. Delivery depends on the service provided by local post offices.
- You will not be able to obtain your results over the phone, by email or by fax.
- Candidates who have not provided their full address (including postal code and area) will need to arrange for their TRF to be collected from the British Council. If you are unable to visit our office in person, please contact us as there is a special 3rd party collection procedure in place.
- We will keep any unclaimed or undelivered TRFs for two years. After that period, all unclaimed TRFs will be securely destroyed. No replacement TRFs will be issued after that period.
Test Report Form (TRF) for the institutions you’re applying to
We can send up to five copies of your Test Report Form (TRF) directly to institutions you are applying to (for instance universities, immigration officers, etc.). If you would like us to do this, please include the relevant addresses when you book your test on the Online Registration System.
Please do not forget to give the full postal address of the institution. Without the complete address we are not able to check whether the institution has access to the IELTS Test Report Form Verification Service that allows it to view your results after we have submitted them electronically. If they do not have access to this service, we will send your TRF by post.
This service is free of charge for a period of one month from the date of the written test. After that period a fee of €10 per TRF is applied.
Institutions need original copies of your Test Report Form (TRF). Photocopies will not be accepted.
Additional copies of your IELTS results
Additional original copies can only be sent to recognising organisations (i.e. universities, immigration officers, etc) for a period of two years from the test date.
If you want us to send another copy of your TRF to a recognising organisation in addition to the five copies we provide, you will need to pay an administration fee of €10 per TRF.
You will need to provide the address(es) of the institution(s) and fill in and sign the Application for Additional Test Report Forms (PDF, 209 kb). Attach a photocopy of your IELTS test results and ID or passport to the application form and send them to us at the following email address:
For British Council Athens, GR005 centre:
For British Council Thessaloniki, GR026 centre:
We will then send the TRF directly to the institution(s).
Please note that an additional TRF takes around ten working days to be processed.
Understanding your IELTS score
You will be awarded an IELTS band score from 0–9 for each test section, which reflects your proficiency in English.
Your TRF shows a score for each of the four skills (Listening, Reading, Writing and Speaking), as well as an overall band score. You can score whole band scores (for example 5.0, 6.0, 7.0) or half band scores (e.g. 5.5, 6.5, 7.5) in each section of the test.
IELTS results validity period
When IELTS test results are used for academic purposes, it is recommended that a candidate’s language ability as indicated on the Test Report Form be re-assessed after two years from the date of the test.
There is no expiry date for IELTS results used for any other purpose if the organisation you are applying to does not specify one in its requirements. IELTS score holders should always be informed by the organisations they are applying to of the IELTS score required. In Greece, ASEP (The Supreme Council for Civil Personnel Selection) recognises IELTS test results irrespective of the date of the test.
How to get your IELTS Test re-marked
If you did not receive the score you expected, you can apply for your test to be re-marked. This is called an Enquiry on Results (EOR). You can choose which test sections you want to be re-marked and will need to request this at the test centre where you sat the test.
There is a fee for this service, which will be refunded should your score on any section of the test increase.
You need to apply for a re-marking no later than six weeks after the test date.
Enquiries on Results may take up to four weeks to complete.
Please contact us for further information.
Want to re-take your IELTS test?
There are no restrictions on re-taking IELTS. You can book a test as soon as you feel you are ready to do so.
Please note that your score is unlikely to increase unless you make a significant effort to improve your English before re-taking the test. Visit the preparation section to take a practice test and assess your level.